Saturday 8 March 2014

A Kindred Spirit and an Inspiration - Gary France



JG and I recently met up with Gary France for lunch at the Ace Cafe (http://www.ace-cafe-london.com).  There is no doubt Gary has been a huge inspiration to JG and I in amongst many other influential books, films and DVD's we have read and watched over the years about motorcycle travel.  

In 2013 Gary published his book 'France In America' -  His book covers the wonderful and extraordinary story of his 21,000-mile journey to explore the hidden corners of 27 American states on the back of his Harley Davidson.  It has many breath-taking photographs and is beautifully written which such descriptive writing it will transport you immediately to the many hidden gems and natural beauty that America has to offer.  

Check it out, it's a wonderful read and in my opinion worth every penny - Here is Gary's website:

http://www.garysfrance.com/france-in-america/

Or indeed order it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/France-In-America-Discovery-Harley-Davidson/dp/6163210824/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394270252&sr=8-1&keywords=france+in+america


Gary was incredibly generous with his time and patiently answered all the questions 'The Blighty-Boys' could throw at him about the fun and challenges of riding a Harley across America - we shall forever be grateful for his wise words, and indeed hope to catch up with Gary in Seattle for a beer during the tour.

18 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading Blighty Boys in America when it gets published ;) have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ride looks fantastic guys. I wish you all the best with it. I can almost guarantee you will come back as changed men with a much more chilled outlook on life. You will have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary - don't forget that pint, or two, we owe you in Seattle! We'll ping you nearer the time.

      Delete
  3. I'll be following along though you are missing out on some of the best (IMHO) roads. Through Canada and on to Alaska and I hear the Appalachians. An awful lot of flat through the central part of the country. I'll be following along as it is a trip I'd like to make one of these days….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I had (virtually) followed Gary on his America road trip, and met the gentleman a couple of times in person, once actually at the Ace Cafe, too.

    I will make sure to keep track of you guys. Have a wonderful and safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SonjaM. We hope to make it interesting for you. I have added a follow button (I think, I'm new to blogging!)

      Delete
  5. Good luck lads. Looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can figure out how to "follow" your blog, I'll do that. For some reason the FOLLOW at the top is missing. . We travel much of that same route every year as we go from our home in Washington State to our winter digs in Englewood FL, so we may see you along the way. Good luck and safe travels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary, and for the 'tip' to add a follow button. I think I've done that now, although being a complete newbie to blogging I could have quite easily got it wrong! Cheers and keep it the shiny side up!

      Delete
  7. I'll be watching and following on your blog. Maybe cross paths as you cross the Arizona desert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Arizona Harley Dude - that would be cool. Stayed tuned and you'll see when we are getting close. I have now added a follow button (I think!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like Gary has outed you two to the moto-blogging community. I am looking forward to following along on your epic adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Trobairitz… hopefully we can provide some interesting reading and viewing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John:

    You must be getting excited. Nearly time to ship your bike to America. I hope you manage to see what you came to see and not be riding long distances everyday. Part of your route was the same way I went when I rode across the USA last summer. Glad you started a blog so we can follow along. Makes a difference to know that we are waiting anxiously for your daily updates

    bob
    A weekend photographer
    or
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  12. To the coolest Brits we have ever met! You both are so awesome. Keep in touch. We wish you the best...safe travels.
    Brian & Tasha Supples

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Tasha & Brian, thank you for your kind words and for taking time to look and comment on our blog. It was a pleasure meeting you both last night. Cheers and all the best for your future European travel plans...

    ReplyDelete